188% increase in organic conversions for giffgaff gameplan A content and online PR case study for the finance sector
increase in organic sessions
increase in overall transactions
increase in organic conversions
giffgaff gameplan is a relatively new provider of financial services so the challenge is generating significant brand awareness and search visibility against online competitors with very high authority e.g. uSwitch and Money Saving Expert.
To compete for organic search in the short to medium term, giffgaff gameplan needs massive link acquisition to drive increased authority of its site.
Essentially the challenge is getting noticed by the media, influencers, blogs and consumers, and ranking top for searchers for credit report, loan and credit card keywords.
The gameplan brand wants to compete with online authorities such as uSwitch and Money Saving Expert.
To get noticed and acquire natural links, our content and online PR team had to get creative with their content marketing. The stand out campaigns included:
International Money Slang
Stunning illustrations designed by Paul Blow to highlight the slang terms for money used by different cultures across the world e.g. A Lobster is $20 in Australia, a 1,000KR note in Denmark is a Toad.
Transfer Value of Classic Soccer Players
Our data analysts calculated the modern-day transfer values of classic soccer players from history such as Pele, Cruyff and Maradona.
Whose Album Name-Dropped the Most $$$, Jay-Z’s 4:44 or Beyoncé’s Lemonade?
Our data analysts were at it again, this time calculating which hot new rap album’s lyrics name-dropped the most valuable items e.g. a Bentley, 2x trips to Paris and a private jet. Jay-Z’s lyrics “spent” over £141m!
Money Fit Challenge Blogger Event
We organized a blogger event in London to preach the message of getting your “money fit”. Influencers had to run 3k, hurdle an inflatable assault course and ride a giant piggy bank to win prizes.
Using a highly creative approach to PR and content, we delivered:
- 369 articles
- Coverage: dailymail.co.uk, Metro, mirror.co.uk, Business Insider, Yahoo, express.co.uk, VICE, Independent, COSMOPOLITAN, Huffington Post, MSN.com
- Reach: 8.19B readership, 17.7M coverage views, 32.5K social shares
- 263 links acquired (av. DA 43.7)
- Page 1 Ranking keywords up 1,285% (35 – 485)
- Organic sessions up 175% YoY (from 5,666 to 15,607 YoY)
- From n/a to rank top 2 for “Credit Report” keywords (22,200 AMS)
- Free credit report conversions up 188% (4,083 – 1,414) (Q4 vs Q2)
- From n/a to rank on page 1 for “compare loans”
- Loan applications up 21% (874-720) (Q4 vs Q2)
- All transactions up 47% from 14.6% to 21.6% (Jun-17 vs. Jan-18)
SEO is our best channel and it’s down to the work we’ve done with Search Laboratory. They make a dry subject like finance exciting. It’s testament to the passion they’ve got.
Nicola Vidal, Head of Commerce, giffgaff gameplan