This Week in Digital...
A lot happens in digital during a week so every Friday we gather the most interesting, amusing and/or entertaining stories from the world of online marketing, ecommerce et al. in one place.
Why Hasn't PageRank Updated?
Speaking at Pubcon on Wednesday Google's Head of Web Spam, Matt Cutts, reiterated that PageRank will not be updated this year as their ability to update the toolbar is broken and it's not their priority to fix it any time soon.
Cutts said that their internal systems do still update so they can still rank the quality of a website, it's just the public display of this that no longer works. He continued to say that too many people obsess over PageRank and doesn't see it as important to fix it.
But if Google aren't going to update PageRank then is it about time it was pulled altogether?
Google Tests Out Banner Ads
Google have confirmed that they are testing out banner advertisements on a small section of devices in the US market. The large images take a great deal of space on the SERPs and are being tested to appear on branded searches to see whether it will improve click-through rates.
The news was raised by @SynergyHQ who tweeted a screenshot of a SERP result for Southwest Airlines who are one of a small handful of brands who have been chosen to test this new idea.
New International Domain Names Announced
This week the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) has announced the roll-out of four new top-level domain names (the likes of .com, .net etc.) and it is the first time that non-Latin characters have been used in them.
They are: the Arabic word for "web" ( شبكة); the Chinese word for "game" (游戏) and the Russian words for "online" and "web site" (онлайн and сайт). Icann is hoping that these new domains will make the internet more inclusive for all.
Icann is planning to roll out hundreds of new domain names and has opened up the selection process to companies who want to register particular domains for themselves. The entries they have received so far include .ninja, .porn and .google from Google themselves. For more information on this have a read of this BBC article.
Yandex Revenue Grows 40%
Yesterday Yandex announced their Q3 figures which showed an incredible 40% growth as compared to the same time last year.
The Russian search giant's main form of revenue comes from paid search advertising at 92% with most of the remaining 8% being made up of display advertising.
What have you enjoyed or found interesting this week in the world of digital marketing? If we have missed something then feel free to leave a comment below or tweet us @searchlabs.